Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Elena's 12 month Screening

Since Elena was born at 30 weeks and had such a traumatic birth Magee Hospital's outpatient clinic follows up with her every 6 months until she is 2.  At her first 6 month appointment in December Elena rocked!!  We are supposed to take 10 weeks off of her actual age to get her adjusted age when looking at her development so they were evaluating her as a 4 month old.  They said that she was at a 5 month old level which was GREAT!

Magee has so many great memories of my little baby, but it also holds the worst pain that I have ever experienced.  Walking through the halls with Elena helps me to process some of the feelings that I struggle with. It was a perfect early Christmas present to be able to go into that hospital with Elena and take her back with us.

It was great to go back to the hospital and visit the NICU.  We had some amaaaaazing nurses who really made a huge impact on our family.  My little chunky preemie was particularly cute that day and I loved showing her off.  Look at that CHUNK! How was she 3 pounds 3 ounces 6 months before this?!?! Ahhhh she's getting so big so fast!


 

So, last week we brought Elena back to Magee for her 12 month screening.  We were supposed to go back a few weeks before but we were fighting with insurance issues.  So Elena walked into that hospital like a boss and rocked her screening again.  The developmental psychologist said over and over how exhausting Elena is and how she is.  *please tell me about it, phew!*   We also got to bring Elena to lunch at Jimmy John's (amaaaaazing) where she enjoyed a delicious pickle.  I ate Jimmy John's 3-4 times a week for 35 days last year and was so excited to introduce Elena to such deliciousness.  Unfortunately, Razzy Fresh was closed and Elena didn't get any fro-yo.  I'm always amazed that I lost 20 pounds after having Elena since I ate a constant diet of fast food and fro-yo for every meal that month.  Lol 



They had her play with specific toys that tested her ability to find hidden objects, mimic movements, her vocabulary and gross motor skills.  In the report that they sent us they said that Elena is right where she needs to be and is surpassing her adjusted age of 11 months.  She's such a miracle baby, I constantly am reminded of it when I see her walking running through the house. 



My little bean turned 1 May 24th but her due date was actually August 1st so tomorrow should be Elena's first birthday!! We are celebrating by seeing my gyno/OBGYN for my annual exam.  It was a totally coincidence that it was scheduled on Elena's should-be-birthday!!  I'm so excited to show the Elena to the doctor that saved her life.  I'm forever grateful to her for her quick thinking and steady hands. This might be the first time that I'm pumped to go to the gynecologist. lol ;)  Hopefully if the rain holds off we are going to feed the giraffes at Living Treasures.  It should be a fun day!!

Happy Should Be Birthday Laney Bug!!!!  Love you little bug.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little girl she is! It is pretty amazing that she went from an itty bitty premie to absolutely crushing all of her milestones in just one year! Wow! Your blog is looking so great, Alyssa!! Congrats on the launch!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! She's pretty amazing. I remember being terrified of what this past year was going to hold. I never imagined that she wouldn't have a single sign that she was born 2 and a half months early!

      Delete